Custom theme.css file empty

Hello,

I noticed that the custom theme.css file (CERN override scheme) for our drupal website (https://blmtwg-run3.web.cern.ch) is empty after the D9 migration. The website is still under development and I didn’t yet work on it after the D9 migration. Today I wanted to resume the implementation and logged in for the first time using the new webdav credentials for openshift. Since the appearance of the website has changed, I checked the theme.css file and it is empty. The timestamp of the file is 8 Dec, while the migration was on 17 Nov (since I didn’t log in since the migration, I would exclude that I deleted the file by mistake).

Is there a way to recuperate the original theme.css file?

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Anton

Hi Anton

Thanks for reaching out!

The migration to OpenShift and subsequent update to Drupal 9 never touches, nor deletes, any data associated with a website. The former because the entire website is moved from one infrastructure to another, and the latter because changes only apply to the Drupal installation and not any of the contributed, customised, or otherwise user-generated content or data.

We have made a Drupal 8 backup of your website available here: https://blmtwg-run3-backup.web.cern.ch/. This reflects your website prior to being updated to Drupal 9. You are able to access the WebDAV for this by following the same steps you took to access the production website. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the theme.css file for the CERN OVERRIDE theme here either.

If the appearance has changed, it is most likely because one or more modules were incompatible with Drupal 9 prior to the update. However, please note that at the moment, your websites are experiencing a database issue likely prompted by the OTGs described here and here. I have flagged this accordingly and expect it to be resolved shortly.

Thanks!

Dear Joachim,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Then I probably concluded wrongly that this was related to the D9 migration. Unfortunately, this doesn’t explain why the theme.css file (which I had heavily edited last year) is empty. I see that all override files (including the empty theme.css) for blmtwg-run3.web.cern.ch have the timestamp 2021-12-08 17:45:28. However, I didn’t work on the website since quite a while (neither login with webdav), certainly not since December. It somehow looks to me that all the files were overwritten by defaults at that timestamp. Could there be an explanation for this?

I also tried to access the backup you indicated, but it seems I don’t have permission to access/retrieve the webdav password via OKD
Any hint how to get the password?

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Anton

Hi Anton

Thanks for the additional information. I will investigate the theme.css matter further and get back to you once I know more. I do wish to stress that we have had no reports about this happening—indeed, as noted above, we are not overwriting any files during any steps of the process. As such, something else must have happened in your case. I expect that we have backups going back quite a while, so we should be able to restore this either way.

Thanks for your patience!

Dear Joachim,

Thank you very much. I vaguely remember that I last touched the website end of September last year. If there could be a backup, say, from October, that would be great.

Thanks,
Anton

Hi Anton

We have restored a theme.css from September 27th 2021.

Please check https://blmtwg-run3.web.cern.ch/ and let us know.

Thanks!

Dear Joachim,

Great, thank you very much for restoring the file!
It looks good to me.

Best regards,
Anton

Hi Anton

Thanks for the confirmation!

Moving forward, we can recommend a dedicated Gitlab repository with code for your theme.

Thanks!