I am aware of the article about “How to create a site using Wordpress” but I would like to “migrate” my Drupal 7 site http://project-itp.web.cern.ch/, keeping its URL, to a Wordpress-managed site.
How can I do it?
Thanks for your help
PS: This community is vary techy, can you please make sure you use a “basic” non-techy language in your reply? I am not a professional webmaster, and I can’t ask for professional help.
I will start my response as the Drupal infrastructure service manager role, I’m afraid there isn’t any automatic migration of content from Drupal into Wordpress, and there isn’t short term plans to provide it.
Wordpress, self-service template, has been conceived as an easier alternative to Drupal for simple blogging, so trying to migrate the potential complexity of any central Drupal site into Wordpress would be hard.
Now as a community user, I had a look to your site and certainly might be a good candidate to be migrated to wordpress, seems simpler (just using “Basic Page” content type) and only contains some tens of pages (so manual migration is not something crazy).
So I encourage you to try the Wordpress experience, and for that my suggested procedure will be:
- Create a new wordpress site (named wp-project-itp.web.cern.ch for example) and try to migrate some part of the current website manually (some pages and menu for example). This will help you to experience yourself how easy will be doing the migration and mantaining the site.
- If you are satisfied with the experience and want to confirm your commitment to migrate your site to Wordpress, then you can start again the process but this time keeping the same URL, for that:
- Delete the Drupal 7 site to release the name (before that you can open a ticket with Drupal Infrastructure service to generate a clone of the Drupal site under a different name to be used as reference for example called d7-project-itp.web.cern.ch)
- Once the clone is done and the name released, start the wordpress creation procedure but this time using the final name “project-itp.web.cern.ch”
- Migrate manually the site, by copy/paste the pages from the Drupal 7 clone (d7-project-itp.web.cern.ch) to the newly created Wordpress site
A couple of notes, this procedure will incurr on some downtime of the site (during the time between the Drupal 7 site deletion and the Wordpress site creation). Also the new Wordpress site will contain partial information while you work on the manual migration of content between Drupal 7 clone and Wordpress site.
Also please note that currently there is no community/official communication channel specific for the Wordpress self-service template. And at the moment the level of official IT support will be limited to the underlying infrastructure this self-service template is based on (PaaS, Platform as a Service http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/services/PaaS-Web-App)