How create news and newsletters and send notifications from the website

Dear Drupal Community,

I was wondering if I could please ask you some questions about the newsletters and news features.

Are those predefined templates (https://home.cern/news?topic=1114 and https://beams.cern/newsletters) ) the only possibilities to publish news or does Drupal offer others options?

In addition, is it possible to send any newsletters/news notifications directly from a Drupal website?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,
Valentina

Dear Valentina,

Yes the ones you mentioned are predefined templates offered by CERN Drupal theme out of the box. You can see them all here Available Display Formats | Drupal @ CERN

Regarding the newsletter notification I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean if there is a way to create newsletters on a Drupal website and mail them or to allow users to subscribe to your website and get a notification when a newsletter is out (regardless of the tool that it was created)?

Dear Sotirios,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the newsletter notification, I would like to notify users when a newsletter is out (regardless of the tool that it was created), only using the Drupal website. In other words, I would like to avoid to notify them manually by writing a message when a newsletter is out.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers,
Valentina

Dear Valentina,

You can use the Simplenews module.

It’s very easy to setup. It provides you with a block for people to subscribe that can be placed everywhere (e.g. footer).

Once your newsletter is ready, you create a new node of simplenews with the text you want to send as an email and the link for the newsletter and Drupal sents it out to all subscribers.

Dear Sotirios,

Thank you for your reply! In addition, I would have another question: is it possible to create newsletter and display them through the Collision of Events | Drupal @ CERN ? If yes, could you please tell me if there is a tutorial in order to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Valentina

Hi Valentina,

I think it’s clear in that guide what you need to do.

It depends on how you will create the newsletters. If you have a newsletter content type which you will use to create a node and attach the newsletter PDF every month then you can use the same content type to create a view as the guide explains and display the newsletter nodes as collision of events.

Thank you Sotirios,

I finally chose another display view, automatically promoted by the CERN profile website.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Valentina