Migrating "Always visible" module to D8

Hello,

Recently, I found that Always visible is very useful when you want to appear a page without permissions to the main menu, but unfortunately it’s only available for D7.

I’m very new to Drupal module development, so as a first job I tried to migrate this module to D8. Although the source code is really small, most probably I miss some things and doesn’t seem to work.

First of all, I changed always_visible.info to always_visible.info.yml and the respective properties:

name: Always Visible
description: Allows administrators to override menu item visibility.
package: Custom

type: module
core: 8.x

In always_visible.module there are two parts for two different functionalities using hooks.

1. hook_form_alter(): Gives the opportunity to users to select which menu item will be appeared even if a user doesn’t have permission
    Picture with the respective functionality in D7 site:
    edit%20menu%20link

2. hook_translated_menu_link_alter(): The one that manipulates menu items according to user selection

I tried to figure out the changes for hook_form_alter() between the respective D7 and D8 and I noticed these two differences:

• I need to add \Drupal\Core\Form\FormStateInterface in front of &$form_state
  • $form_id of Edit menu link page changed from ‘menu_edit_item’ to ’ menu-link-content-menu-link-content-form’

So, the always_visible.module looks like this:

<?php
//largely based on http://drupal.org/node/300607#comment-2805992

/**
 * Implements hook_form_alter().
 */
function hook_form_alter(&$form, \Drupal\Core\Form\FormStateInterface &$form_state, $form_id) {
  if ($form_id == 'menu-link-content-menu-link-content-form') {
    $form['always_visible'] = array(
      '#title' => t('Always show this menu item.'),
      '#description' => t('Disables the check if the user has access to this path.'),
      '#type' => 'checkbox',
      '#weight' => '0',
      '#default_value' => isset($form['options']['#value']['always_visible'])?$form['options']['#value']['always_visible']:FALSE,
    );
    $form['actions']['submit']['#submit'][] = 'always_visible_menu_edit_form_submit';
  }
}

function always_visible_menu_edit_form_submit($form, \Drupal\Core\Form\FormStateInterface &$form_state) {
  $menu =& $form_state['values'];
  if ($menu['always_visible']) {
    $menu['options']['always_visible'] = 1;
    $menu['options']['alter'] = 1;
  }
  else {
    $menu['options']['always_visible'] = 0;
    $menu['options']['alter'] = 0;
  }
}

The first functionality doesn’t seem to work because I can’t see the “check” button that appears in D7 site

As far as hook_translated_menu_link_alter() is concerned, I saw that it’s not exist in D8. Nevertheless, It seems like there are some alternatives, but I didn’t manage to implement it.

Any help will be more than useful,
Ioannis

Hi Ioanni,

Try to replace hook_form_alter with the module’s name (e.g. always_visible_form_alter).