Not sure what is my next step

I write to you as I am quite lost in the Drupal 9 migration operations…

I have read all instructions and followed the recording of the Drupal 9 workshop but I still have many issues and questions.

Here is a summary of the migration for my web sites.

1. visits

Current Prod version:
Accessible on webtest.cern.ch:
Yes
Upgrade status report:
Remove: 11
Update: 0
Collaborate with maintainers: 4
Scan: 0
Comments:
Seems to be all good. Prod still on D8.

2. voisins

Current Prod version:
No
Upgrade status report (on prod):
Remove: 0
Update: 2
Collaborate with maintainers: 1
Fix with rector: 1
Comments:
The upgrade status report is suprisingly available on prod ?! But I don’t know how to access WebDav on Prod sites to update 2 modules (H5P and Translatable Menu Link Uri). The one modules to be fixed is: CERN. Also most French translations (but not all…) of many nodes are no more linked to original language node… They are still in the Content, but exists as an independent node.

3. sciencegateway

Current Prod version:
No

4. passeport-big-bang

Current Prod version:
No

5. belgium

Current Prod version:
Yes
Comments:
Impossible to sign in. I am redirected to Drupal user authentication and not CERN SSO…

6. connectdots

Current Prod version:
No

7. foundationglobe

Current Prod version:
Comments:
Apparently already migrated to D9

8. esplanade

Current Prod version:
Yes
Upgrade status report:
Remove: 13
Update: 0
Collaborate with maintainers: 0
Comments
Seems to be all good. Prod still on D8.

As you can see most sites are not available on webtest.cern.ch… and for one I cannot log it. Therefore cannot do much about them. 2 sites ready, 1 already migrated.

I am a bit stuck right now. Your help and advice is most welcome.

Best regards,

François Briard

Hi François

Thanks for reaching out!

visits.cern has not yet been migrated to OpenShift. This is why the .webtest.cern.ch preview remains accessible. However, as you note yourself, the Upgrade Status report looks reasonable. I do want to stress that the Countries Taxonomies, H5P, and Site Status Message modules need to be updated to be compatible. We have a guide on how to update modules available here: https://drupal-tools.web.cern.ch/update-modules-webdav. Of course, if you are not actively using these modules, consider removing them instead.

However, Countries Taxonomies does not appear to be actively maintained (https://www.drupal.org/project/countries_taxonomy) and I cannot see any release compatible with Drupal 9. The same applies to Site Status Message (https://www.drupal.org/project/site_status_message). You will have to either adapt these modules yourself or find alternative modules offering similar functionality which are compatible. H5P does have a compatible Drupal 9 release (https://www.drupal.org/project/h5p/releases/2.0.0-alpha1), but it is an alpha version which only supports Drupal 9. While the former is not necessarily an issue, the latter means you can only apply this update once on Drupal 9.

voisins.cern has been migrated to OpenShift, but not yet upgraded to Drupal 9. You need to fix the problems highlighted under FIX MANUALLY (see https://drupal-tools.web.cern.ch/how-to-prepare-your-website-its-drupal-9-upgrade, or simply upgrade the module to the newest version available). You further need to update the Translatable Menu Link URI module as well as address the H5P module with the previous paragraph in mind.

sciencegateway.cern has been migrated to OpenShift, but not yet upgraded to Drupal 9. Once again you have some modules to update here. Please see the above comments and refer to the referenced tutorial.

passeport-big-bang.web.cern.ch has been migrated to OpenShift, but not yet upgraded to Drupal 9. My comment for sciencegateway applies to this website as well.

belgium.cern is not a site I have access to. I am happy to take a closer look, but I would have to be added to the appropriate e-group in order to do so. I am guessing the conclusion would be similar to the above, though! However, if you are unable to login at all even when in the appropriate e-group(s), this is something which we need to look into. I have flagged this accordingly.

connectdots.web.cern.ch has both modules to update and fix directly. My comments for passeport-big-bang and sciencegateway apply to this website as well.

foundationglobe.web.cern.ch has been migrated to OpenShift and upgraded to Drupal 9.

esplanade.web.cern.ch has been migrated to OpenShift, but not yet upgraded to Drupal 9. However, per https://esplanade.web.cern.ch/admin/reports/upgrade-status, it is already compatible and so no further action is necessary.

Thanks!

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my questions and evaluate what was left.

I must say I was totally confused between migration to OpenShift, which website to test, where the Upgrade status report is available or not and which method to use to update modules (through interface or webdav and in that case which method to connect to it)…

I think I have cleaned up most of the problems.

One of the issues left ifs H5P which I extensively use on multiple websites. If I understand correctly I will have to wait that website is migrated to D9 to then apply the 2.0.0-alpha1 update. But how will I know my site has been migrated and above all, will my site be migrated to D9, while I still have an incompatible version of H5P? The websites concerned are: visits, voisins, sciencegateway and connectdots.

The other issue is about Webforms. They have released a new version 6.1.1 which is D9 compatible on 1 December, but I cannot update directly from the web pages…

For belgium.webtest.cern.ch I have added you to the e-group of admins… Still cannot login, therefore cannot see the upgrade status report.

Best regards,

François

Hi again

I completely understand: It has been confusing! Ideally we would have liked to complete the migration to OpenShift several months ago before handling the Drupal 9 upgrade. Despite this effort began many months ago, we have faced a wide range of both expected and unexpected challenges. While this would not normally have been an issue, we faced the additional challenge of Drupal 8 reaching end-of-life last month. As such, everything unfortunately ended up happening all at once. Of course, in actually preparing for Drupal 9, the new infrastructure has further changed how some things (e.g. webDAV) work; all but helping the overall process.

We do have a collection of websites (yours included) which rely on one or more modules without a Drupal 8 | 9 compatible release. We are investigating what we can do here to automate the process (bump to Drupal 9, upgrade the module(s) in question), but ultimately we cannot offer support for all custom modules used CERN-wide in this fashion. Updates to follow on this one.

We will handle this specific module centrally. No further action is necessary.

Thanks, I will have a look.

Thanks!

Dear Joachim,

Thanks for your answer. Nothing to be done by me for the time being. Awaiting instructions.

Best,

François

Hi François

I am following up on this thread as visits.cern has now been moved to OpenShift.

I have applied a couple of changes and will update a few additional modules on this for you.

I will reach out via e-mail to confirm before applying to production.

Thanks!