Menu in left side bar disappear regularly

Hello

In my webpage https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/schedules
The Menu in left side bar disappear regularly, each time, to make it reappear, I have to follow this procedure

Structure  Menus  Main Navigation  Schedules (EDIT), Remove ‘show as expanded’, save, then add ‘show as expanded’ save

How I can fix it, it is new since 10 days… before I don’t know.
Any suggestion is welcome
Cheers

Simon

Hello Simon,

If I understand correctly you want to display the main in the left sidebar, right? The “issue” is that the Schedules page is located in the 1st level of the menu but you have configured the menu to be displayed starting from 2nd level.

If you want it to appear even for 1st level items, change the Initial visibility level to 1.

Konstantinos

Hello Konstantinos,

No - What I want the 2sdt level items appear and remain… but it disappear regularly. This time I followed my procedure, because it was disappeared and it appeared with the black color!! I don’t understant why now it is balck and disappear.

Cheers Simon

Hello Simon ,

I will try to explain better the questions:

Initial visibility level:

According to the description of this field: The menu is only visible if the menu item for the current page is at this level or below it. Use level 1 to always display this menu.

What you setup in this field is in which pages you want the menu to appear. If you set it up as 2, this means that the menu will appear only in pages that 2+ level menu items. In your case the Schedule page is a 1st level menu item. As a result if you setup Initial visibility level as 2, the menu will not appear in Schedule page.

• Schedule <= 1st level
    • item 1 <= 2nd level
    • item 2 <= 2nd level
    • item 3 <= 2nd level

If you setup the Initial visibility level as 2, the menu will appear only in item1, item2 and item3. Right now you have set it up as 2, thats why it appears only in pages that are in 2nd level , eg https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/ls2-isolde and not in 1st level pages like https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/schedules .

If you want it to appear in the first level too, change Initial visibility level to 1

Why it appears black?

Because the menus in the sidebars get the same colors as you have setup for header background in order to keep color consistency.

Can you please explain what you mean by “appear and remain”? its even better if you can provide an example.

Konstantinos

Hello Konstantinos,

If you go now to https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/schedules, the menu in the sidebars is not visible… and yesterday at 16.33 it was visible. (have a look on the screenshot, I have done yesterday)
and I am sure that during January 2021 menus in the sidebars background was white.
Thank you for your help
Cheers

Simon

Hello Simon,

The only difference I see between the two menus is:

• In the second case the menu shows only 1st and 2nd level menu items. In order to restrict it change Number of levels to display from Unlimited to 2. and Initial visibility level to 1. In that case it will start showing in the 1st level and it will show 2 levels. So in total levels 1 and 2.
  • Regarding the color, as I mentioned above in the current implementation the colors of the menus are the same as the header background. If you want to modify it, you can always override the theme.

Konstantinos

Hello Konstantinos.

What I don’t understand in why during 2020, the menu in left sidebar was correctly displayed, and now in 2021 the background is black and in the page of schedule is not displayed.
I changed nothing…

It is a pity that the template is not stable. Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

Simon

Dear Simon,

It is a configuration issue and not stability of the template. If you check your settings in the Menu block here you will see that you have set the visibility level to 2.

The Schedule page doesn’t have any level 2 items as you can see from you menu tree so there is nothing to display.

The colours of the theme evolve during time according to CERN’s branding. All CERN websites must look and feel homogeneous for a better user experience.

Ofcourse you can change the menu’s colour in the way Konstantinos described but in order to keep this homogeneity other colours in the template must change at the same time for a better display outcome. It is really bad for a user to visit a website where each element in the page has its own colour. It makes it very difficult to focus and navigate.

Nevertheless you can install the override theme and make these custom changes there. You can change the colour of any element but any change must be aligned with the official web design guidelines.

Hello Sotirios,

Ok, The colours of the theme evolve… so I am not crazy, in 2020 it was transparent, now it is black! Fine with me.
But I appreciate your effort to repeat waht Konstantinos already explained to me, but please have a look of the attachment, I made at 8.52 a printscreen, of https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/schedules, after I refresh the page (as explained before) and I did a 2sd screenshot. The 2sd screenshot It is what I want.
If you told me, it not possible, it is ok with me, I will do by hand … but in 2020 it was working properly

Thank you

Simon

Screenshot done now, I would like that later the page stay like as it is - Thank you

Dear Simon,

It seems that the menu in this page doesn’t respect the ‘Show as expanded’ here.

I unchecked the field, cleared caches and it worked and then it disappeared again. Then I checked it again clear caches and works. It seems stable for the moment.

This is not a template issue because when it is not loaded you can’t see anything in the inspection. If it was a template issue we would have seen that the menu is there but for some reason is not showing.

There is nothing else to be done at this point. Keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again.

Dear Sotirios,

Now that’s perfect. This is not the only page that is affected by this disappearing menu phenomenon.
Let’s see tomorrow, how it will look.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Cheers

Simon

Dear Sotirios,

It happens again for (it ha sbeen Ok for 10 days)
https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/schedules
https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/rex-radioactive-beam-experiment

Any idea? I know that if I unchecked the field, cleared caches and it worked and then it disappeared again. Then I checked it again clear caches and works. It seems stable for the moment.
it will work for not for a long time…
Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Simon

Dear Simon,

I think that there is a conflict with the Expand all value in the menu items and in the menu block.

I have unchecked the expand all menu items from the menu block and also unchecked it from the menu items that don’t have children items. I have only left it checked in REX menu.

Now it seems to work fine.

Hello Sotirios

What can I do to avoid this conflict with the Expand all value in the menu items and in the menu block?
It is not a big trouble, since I have the menu in the top bar…

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Now it seems that it works fine.

You should never check in menu block the expand all menu items. Just check this option in the menu items in the menu that have second level items.

Hello Sotirios,

Thank you, I understood.

Have a nice day

Cheers

Simon

Hello Sotirios,

Again, the menu has disappeared only on this web page https://isoldeop.web.cern.ch/schedules. Very strange, no?
Cheers
Simon

Hi Simon,

The only difference that I see in your website in compare to other that also have menu blocks is that you have the Menu block module installed. The menu block functionality is part of the Drupal 8 core now so there is no need for that.

I took a backup of your website and I uninstalled the module to see if this was causing this weird behaviour. Keep an eye on the website for the next few days to see if the problem persists and let us know.

Okie dokie… thank you very much for your support. Cheers

Simon