Let me first add one clarification, in case other people arrive to this topic. We, Drupal infrastructure team, provide the infrastructure facilities (currently Drupal 7 and Drupal 8) to host Drupal sites centrally at CERN. It was never our mission to provide a seamless migration between Drupal versions, but to provide tools to facilitate this task to the site administrators. This is no something self-imposed by us, but rather based on circumstances. The tool itself Drupal, is not providing a very complete migration path, and we have to adapt our tools on what is provided and the maturity of the modules. We have also noticed that migrations from Drupal 7 to 8 are, depending on the site, very specific and requires sometimes a big effort for our users to succeed. But I hope you understand that is very difficult from our position ensuring the migration of sites that we were never involved in the development and please also note that the time effort that this will require for the total number of sites we have hosted will make impossible our regular duties on providing a production service.
What we can do, and we try our best is to provide the guidance, fixes when possible, and tools to perform the migration.
Once clarified that, let’s enter into your issue.
You are totally right and there was some misunderstanding during the initial migration of the site, and the webform content was not migrated. This I’ve resolved by re-doing the migration but this time also including the webform_migrate module in the process (https://www.drupal.org/project/webform_migrate)
But then, when verifying more in detail the result, I’ve noticed few issues I was closely debugging and trying to resolve. As you can see the webform was this time migrated, https://cmsstatcommmigration.web.cern.ch/admin/structure/webform.
But there are two problems I would like to make you aware
- Many of the “Select” types are wrongly assigned (for example from multiple options into radios) After close inspection I’m not sure if this is a bug on the webform_migrate module or a concrete problem with your webform configuration.
- The 278 submissions looks as imported, but all the webform values are not and they appear as empty.
So at this point, and after expending a fair amount of time on this, I would propose you a couple of options based on my conclusion and effort analysis.
1 - One option, and for me the simpler, will be to take the current status of the Drupal 8 migrated site as starting point. Work on the Webform definition, to fix any inconsistency after the migration, like transforming those radio elements into Select options. Once done I would suggest to export the current results of the Drupal 7 site as Excel or CSV file. The new fixed webform on Drupal 8 will be used for new data to be created while a uploaded link to the Excel/CSV file will be used as reference to access previous submissions from Drupal 7.
2 - The other option, and what I was trying to perform before writing here is to (without much success), export the data from the Drupal 7 site on CSV and then import it on the Drupal 8 webform by using the module “Webform Submission Export/Import” But I must say after few difficulties and due the time spent, I wouldn’t recommend this. There are some transformations to be done and adapted to prepare the CSV file exported from Drupal 7 site into Drupal 8. and then some manual mapping between CSV columns and Webform elements. And at the end I cannot confirm that the result will be good enough.
I would be happy to assist you, if you are interested on the first alternative I propose, I really understand how important is for you to have the full data migrated and how annoying this migration is being for you, but having into account the issues encountered, the Drupal expertise on your side and the time constraints also on both your and my side, I think this might be a good compromise to get this migration on-going and keep the needed functionality working for the next years.